Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Shop Stool Build Off

This Saturday, January 25th, is the Shop Stool Build Off.  What is this you ask?  It is an event conceived by Canadian woodworker Chris Wong where woodworkers around the world are invited to build their best shop stool in a day, or weekend if Sunday is needed.  The progress will be tracked via Twitter #SSBO, Google+, Facebook, etc.  At the conclusion Chris will share pictures of all of the pieces on his blog.  This sounds like a good time and the details can be seen on Chris's web site.

I will be building a stool in the Windsor style, of course.  Though I must confess, it is not an original design, but that is the beauty of this event; It doesn't need to be.  It is my addaptation of an ergonomic stool designed by Pete Galbert, Curtis Buchannan, and Galen Cranz, that Pete dubbed "The Perch".

It is no secret that I have been experimenting with chairs for guitar players.  The more I worked with my prototype the more design questions and challenges have been brought to the surface.  I have been looking to solve some of these questions with a more simple stool for guitar players.  With that being said, my plan is to make a dual purpose prototype "Studio/Shop Stool".  I look forward to seeing all the stools made during the event, and hope you too will be participating.  




~ Ray Schwanenberger

No comments:

Post a Comment