Well as Brian has said many a time, "Life happens". Such is the case with me. I did manage to get a chance to finish carving the spindles for my chair last Saturday. Before I did that I took a few minutes to sharpen my drawknives. While the edges felt sharp and would grab a finger nail, I could tell by the way they were cutting it was time for a quick tune-up.
|Bevel down knife and the Drawsharp|
I was able to get the spindles roughed out into octagonal shapes and set aside to begin to dry. I let them sit for a bit before exposing them to the heat in the attic, my present day kiln that only works in the summer months. This keeps the pieces from warping and splitting. I was curious so tonight I checked an extra spindles moisture content and was happy to see it had gone form 35% to 15% since Saturday. Now I cam put them in the attic to begin super drying them.
|Spindle at 15% EMC. Time to put in the attic.|
I finished the night off by doing a bit of redesigning of a stool seat. What I did was increase the size by 10% and changed a few sight line, rake and splay angles. Nothing drastic from the original design, but it is something that I have been wanting to do and now that I have someone wanting a stool I have the opportunity.
|In shop design session.|
Next I will be finishing up the arm for the chair and preparing to do the final assembly. Hopefully the sun will come out and heat up the attic so that I may finish up the June Chair Build by the end of next week. If not I may just have to finally break down and build a kiln. Until the next time be well and be safe.
~ Ray Schwanenberger