Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Where Have I Been?

It has been exactly 4 months to the day since my last post.  How time flies when you are covered up with the daily workings of getting a business venture off the ground.  I have been retired from my air traffic control career for a little over two years now.  During that time I attempted to turn my passion for chairmaking, and woodworking in general, into a viable business.  There are many pitfalls in trying to make a living as a "Professional Woodworker".  The most difficult being, finding customers that are willing to pay what a handmade piece is worth.

Marc Spagnuolo AKA The Wood Whisperer wrote a wonderful article on this very subject.  So I suggest that anyone considering going down this path go here and check it out.  I will continue to pursue making my furniture and hopefully along the way be able to acquire a few more clients.  I would encourage anyone to follow their dreams, and I will do the same.

So you ask where have I been.  Since February of this year I have been partnered with another local businessman in getting a Radon Testing & Mitigation business off the ground.  This has kept me from my shop, the blog, and most things related to working wood.  Now that much of the preliminary work is done I am hopeful that I will be able to return to the shop, catch up on projects, and keep the blog up to date.

With that being said, I am going to the shop to figure out where to begin.  

~ Ray Schwanenberger

No comments:

Post a Comment